I've forgotten to bring my journal to the library this week, so I'll have to try to remember everything from this past week based on my daily planner. Bare with me.
Last Tuesday was a miracle. We had the same number of lessons in that one day as we had in the whole week before. It felt good to know that we are still working. Last Monday we had an amazing lesson with the Brown family. Last time we talked with them about the first half of the Plan of Salvation and shared how wonderful it was that Adam and Eve left the garden of Eden, they loved that view of it. Monday when we shared the second half reached the point describing the three Kingdoms of Glory, we all got a little nervous. Often times people question us about this point of Mormonism. But as we explained that a just God will not force you to dwell somewhere where you would be uncomfortable and has given this life on earth to decide to act for ourselves showing his mercy. Then when we described who went to each kingdom, Mr. Brown nodded along saying, "That makes a lot of sense. I always wondered why a man who committed murder but excepted Christ before he died could be allowed into the same heaven as a man like me who has lived in the example of Christ all my life." God is loving. This is where I find my joy. (see 2 Nephi for more on this topic.)
On Wednesday after our last District Meeting of this transfer (tomorrow we have Zone Conference so there won't be a DDM this week), we went up to Crystal Springs to visit less active members and a few of the members we have up there. Well, pretty much everyone fell through and so we were forced to do the only other things we could: tract. Never on my mission have I felt so much negativity in a tracting experience. Of the perhaps 10 houses we knocked, 5 opened their doors to us. All of them, turned us away and refused to except our cards. The last house was answered by a woman who bluntly said "I don't want to talk to you," and shut the door again. To make it even more fun, it was extremely cold and none of us had dressed to accommodate. Definitely not my best proselyting on my mission so far. We were undeterred and gladly accepted a call to service at the church.
However, even though it felt good doing service and helping to vacuum the chapel for the 2 sisters cleaning it, I still ended the evening terrible with myself. I was vacuuming and was doing great, moving the chairs and putting them back with the help of Sister Baker. Sister Tebbs was practicing the piano for a musical number we would be doing on Friday. I was making good time. I got on the stage and was like a bumble bee, busily flying around the accomplish my task. On my last push with the vacuum I go under the sacrament table and--psst, t-ling! I suck up the microphone! Immediately I turned off the vacuum and pull out the cord, but its been pulled to shreds and the part that you speak into is now gone for eternity. Can you imagine my shame and humility. I told the Branch President and he told me I was fired. I was nervous all the way to Sunday morning because I hadn't seen a spare mic in all my exploration of our tiny library. Luckily, my fears were in vain and the sacrament prayers were spoken over the speakers yesterday.
Now the sad part of the week. Hazlehurst Branch's beloved Pat Boone passed away last Tuesday after fighting pneumonia and various diseases that occurred with it since December. Friday was the funeral and we were blessed to be able to help out and serve the entire day. We helped set up over 200 chairs both in the chapel and overflow and even then people stood in the hallways including ourselves. We helped bring in food and switch the rows of chairs to tables after the service was over. And cleaned up when it was all done. We were asked to be part of the program and so Sister Baker and I sang "How Great Thou Art" as Sister Tebbs played. Everyone said it turned out well and even I was proud of the spirit we put out though the music. Saturday we were able to visit with a couple of the family's friends and explain the Plan of Salvation to them so that they could know what Pat believed. I'm not sure how they felt about it but I pray it gave them peace.
Church was good this week. Most of the testimonies borne were about Pat. We were shocked when his inactive wife not only came but stood and told everyone that even though she wasn't active she still knew the church was true and that when she looked at her husband Monday night and knew that he was gone, she felt at peace. I am reminded of scriptures in John:
"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid...
"Behold, the hour cometh, yes, is now come, that ye shall be scattered, every man to his own, and shall leave me alone:yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me.
"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation:but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." (John 14:26-27, 17:32-33)
I love these scriptures and all of the scriptures. I love that on my mission I'm given such a greater opportunity to study, learn, and know the words of God, Christ, and the prophets. My only regret was that I have missed out on 21 years over gaining this knowledge. Still, I'm glad to be making up for lost time now!
Last night we visited Sister Tarbutton ("goat lady") and got to try her homemade goat cheese and goat milk. I am really considering getting goats. It'll take a lot of work and I'll have to find homes for the babies, but there is a lot of great things that come from it. Free milk, with effort free cheese, and cute babies around feet. I would also love the have chickens so I could have all the eggs I want (one of my favorite foods) and though my green thumb isn't very green, I would love to have a garden and say that my table is covered in food that I not only cooked but grew myself. I want to provide for my family in this manner, just as one my favorite memories of my childhood is remembering all the fruit trees and berries and vegetables growing in our garden. I'm so excited to have my own place.
Let's see, what else can I tell you? Last Thursday we had exchanges with the Sister Training Leaders and I was able to spend the day with Sister McGrath again along with Sister Baker. I miss Sister McGrath so much, she such an amazing person. Always cheerful, always glad.
I think that's it. This Friday we find out transfer information and transfers will be on Tuesday so don't expect to hear from me till then.
By the way, in example of just how crazy the weather is here in Mississippi, let me tell you what it has been like the last 24-hours. Yesterday at 1:00pm as we tracted, I poured sweat and had to immediately change out of my dress upon our return home at 9:00pm I was so uncomfortable and warm. This morning I woke up and upon taking out the trash, grabbed my scarf, leggings and puffy jacket. Yesterday the high was 81 degrees. Today is currently 30 degrees. Yep.
I love you all and remember bullying is bad: http://www.mormonchannel. org/video/mormon-messages?v= 3267475157001&cid= HPWE030514340&im=true
Lucky Sister Stewart
Investigators let us take home our own box of Girl Scout Cookies. I chose the Savannah Smiles because they remind me of Mom.
Some members have a shed in their backyard devoted to legos. Their nephew (pictured) loves it.
Tracting to the edge :)
While tracting in the town we walked further down one street and discovered this beautiful view.
Biking.
You discover a lot of neat things when you are tracting :)
No comments:
Post a Comment