March 24, 2014

Of Colds, Of Cars, and Of the Lord

So guess what. I forgot my journal again. Reviewing the details from my planner and camera again. Luckily I have a photographic memory to help me out.

Granted there isn't too much to say, Sister Baker's "just not feeling good" turned out to be strep in relation to her spring allergies so we spent Friday in the house and didn't get to work as much as we planned on Thursday. Plus on Wednesday was interviews so again, not much. However, we still surprisingly got some good work done.

Monday night we stopped by an investigators home. Her family is less active and to our shock pretty much everyone was there! So we decided to read with everyone and turn it into a member present lesson, reading from Alma 8 and showing the diligent faith of Alma as he returned to Ammonihah after being "reviled...and spit upon...and cast out of their city" (Alma 8:13). We showed how Alma's labor in the spirit in verse 10 was not wasted as an angel visited him and told him "Blessed art thou" (verse 15, one of my favorites). And so he was blessed that as he returned to the city by another way and met Amulek who had been prepared to help Alma in his missionary efforts. They probably thought we were crazy for reading such a missionary chapter but again to our shock they all came to church on Sunday! I was so happy to see them there. I don't know what made them decide to come, but it was definitely a miracle. And Calvin, one of the son-in-laws, was able to help bless the sacrament because we were short on priesthood holders. That is such a joyous thing to see, I truly love men who worthily hold and use the priesthood, the very power of God.

Tuesday was spent driving. Like I told you before, we had to get a new car because our Chevy Cruze was dinged up pretty good, but after having our Toyota Corolla less than a week, Elder Edwards (our car guy) realized that it needed to go to Shreveport for some repairs to be done to the bumper. So we met him in Clinton and exchanged for our brand new 2014 Ford Fusion. ...I LOVE this car. Seriously. It is so nice, and I really want one when I get home. I know I can't afford a 2014 and I'm not sure I would like an older model but if I ever get the chance, ooo, love it. The ride is smooth, the steering is good, I like the length, it's roomy (a whole ton more than our Cruze) and I absolutely adore the look. Plus it has bluetooth. I'm starting to really like bluetooth. Since I'm driving I can't talk on the phone but my companions don't like talking on the phone. So they make the call and I just talk to the car and the people respond back and I never have to be distracted from the road. Oh, so nice....

Now this email is not supposed to be a sales pitch so I'll move on. Since we were in Clinton our Zone Leaders met us for lunch and at the restaurant we met 2 sweet old ladies and were able to sing happy birthday to one. It's always nice to go out with other missionaries but the work must go forth and so we rushed back home and went tracting and met with several potential investigators. One investigator didn't have her husband home but said she would relate our message to him and that he was really sad he had to be gone. We read Alma 40 with her and talked again about the Plan of Salvation and the resurrection of men through Christ, she really liked that and loved sitting down just us girls. However, she spoils us with Girl Scout cookies. Yum.

Monday morning was hard for me, but we pushed through and made it to our interviews in the afternoon. I was so excited to talk to President McDonough, much different than from when I first came out. I got to see my district and I'm excited, these people the Lord keeps putting me around are so awesome! Elder Clyde is a character and Elder Byerly is simple but because he's been out so short of time he's still fresh and if you look at him you can see the fire burning in him. The rest of us are just keeping up in our "old age", haha (because they are the 2 that are under 6 months). Luckily we made it out by 7:30pm and were able to go to our appointment in Crystal Springs and even though we were early went straight up to her door. Good thing too because she was heading out to work and only had about 10 minutes to talk. If we had been on time we would have missed her.

Thursday, like I said, didn't have much work to it. After listening to Sister Baker go hoarse on Wednesday, Sister McDonough suggested she stay in till we figured out what was wrong. A member helped us set up an appointment in the afternoon so she stayed with that member in the morning while Sister Rosenauer and I went out tracting. At the doctor's appointment (in Brookhaven), Sister Baker was tested positive for strep so we got Krystal Burger while waiting for her medicine and spent the rest of the day inside. Sister Rosenauer was able to go out for 2 hours with Kristin McLemore and thankfully they met with Sister Tarbutton and her son so the day wasn't completely wasted.

Friday was a day though. Besides an emergency run to Dollar General for toilet Paper and wasp spray (and fried ice cream), we stayed inside. We watched church-logo movies (like I don't already have them memorized) and I worked on planners (I have all my elder planners done for this transfer now). I think Sister Rosenauer was going to go crazy though and was having fits but she maintained herself and was off like a bullet the next morning when we went back out.

Unfortunately I think I either picked up what Baker had or have finally taken to the pollen in the air and suffered yesterday through a stuffy and runny nose, and a strange voice and woke up this morning to a rather sore throat. It's gone mostly away now but a small cough has stuck with me. Mom, don't worry, I take a multi-vitamin and drink/eat vitamin C whenever possible. I'm fine.

I hope you all know that I have a testimony that this is the true church. I face opposition each day that it is not, and every day I tell myself, "why not?" A lot of people have told me they think that there are so many churches because people are different and so we each have to have a different way. But Ephesians 4:5 says that there is "One Lord, one Faith" to me this means there is one way. And it is a way that ALL men can travel. I love the Plan of Salvation because it's also the Plan of Happiness. God's plan for each one of us to be happy for all eternity. Through choosing to follow Jesus Christ, study who he is, and exemplify his characteristics we can feel that happiness and be free (2 Nephi 2:27). I know he is my Savior from sorrow, guilt, and inequity. I can never repay him, but I can show my gratitude and desire to do all I can. I sister yesterday said in her talk "I can't, God can, I think I'll let Him." Let him help you and find joy in his touch.

I love you all. This Wednesday is my one year mark. Can you believe it? Just a little longer and I'll be able to give you all hugs and kisses and my Southern recipes!

Love, Sister Lara "Stewy" Stewart
We followed "GODSWAY" in Clinton for a while. 
 Sister Rosenauer picked a pretty bouquet as we tracted. Spring is here!
 Tried Krystal Burger, its small but mighty.
 Fried ice cream, sitting outside next door. Sick people can still eat ice cream, ha!
 The Town of Wesson.
 Tracting the country always makes for pretty views and cows (not pictured).
 Friday I rode down a hill and couldn't make my turn. So it was either run into a bush or chance running into the creek (a 6 foot drop) on the other side. I chose the bush. I'm just fine and the bush is healing nicely.
 ...
Fried Mushrooms! At 51 Diner.

No comments:

Post a Comment