So this week was everything I hoped it would be, but that's life. We did have great opportunities to meet new less actives members including having one come to church yesterday that hadn't been in about 10 years! The Branch noticed and we really impressed her because we got her a ride with another less active, they were doubly surprised. We also received teaching requests from several part member families which is a sign that things are changing in Bogalusa. Now we just have to stay on our game to make them happen.
My companions are super silly. Note my pictures. They did my hair and makeup on Wednesday after I had an emotional break down. Gotta say I look weird with that much make-up, especially the lipstick but I also kinda liked it so we'll see how much I wear in the future. Sister Ray bought Popits (noisy little poppers) and they began popping them on the carport Thursday morning. We got lost and found a frozen yogurt place, Sister Eyre said it was destiny but somehow Sister Ray resisted the urge to pull in. We have taken to the game Nerts on our off hours and the other morning as we ate breakfast I played a quick game of Solitaire. As I played, Sister Ray started playing Nerts on my cards and then when Sister Eyre finished eating she joined in with Sister Ray. In the end Sister Erye won Nerts and I lost Solitaire. Last night was really emotional so we got out the junk food and Scrabble game. Chocolate was passed around and I won Scrabble (probably because I was the least emotional and most sane at the time). But the night was a really good bonding time and we woke up this morning ready to start fresh.
Bogalusa is a branch, Dad (I think I said that already though). It stretched pretty wide so we can't cover all of it but we're trying to work with the members to change that. The members are nice but they've had some really bad missionaries in the past so we're working to change that. Its getting a lot better.
Last week Gladys Knight and the United Saints Voices (I think that's what they were called) came and performed several shows in Hattiesburg and Shreveport. We rode with our RS President to Hattiesburg and watched the 5:30pm show. It was amazing. The music wasn't all "Mormon hymns so I wasn't sure at first but the spirit was SO STRONG. Sister Knight McDowell and her husband both told their conversion stories, how they met, and their testimonies and there was a brief lesson on the Restoration. I wanted so much to stay for the 8:30pm showing but we couldn't and it sounds like most people didn't get home 'till 1am from that show so I'm glad we didn't after all. The feeling of peace and love, the understanding that whether black, white or purple we are all children of the same God, and the call to serve God in His church were all underlying themes. How much I wish I could have every non-member and member alike see this show, you could never doubt God again.
The Silly Bits of Life:
1. I finished untangling my ball of yarn! It only turned out to be about 4 inches big. When it was stretched and wound around the living room I thought it would be bigger but oh well, it's completed!
2. Sister Eyre writes down funny things we all say through the day. Whether it's a good or bad thing, I don't know, but I have become famous in her book.
3. We received a card in our mail box warning us of a sex offender in the area. As we drove away from the house we found out it was our next door neighbor! We told our leaders but they couldn't do much and even if we were moved it would most likely just be a worse neighborhood. Don't worry our house has very good locks.
4. We all got about 30 bug bites this past week. Summer is here!
5. Our branch members were joking and saying they all needed to go tannning or they would be blinding everyone when pool season gets here. I took off my shoe and watch and said "Come knock some doors with us and that won't be a problem." They laughed and I think considered it for half a second. I seriously have some good tan lines. : )
6. I am slowly perfecting the "selfie."
As missionaries, we are allowed 2 hours each week to watch Mormon.org profiles so that we can share uplifting messages with those we meet. Last week I saw this one about a mission president who gave up golf to answer the call to serve (http://www.mormon.org/bruce). He inspires me as I think about the knowledge our passions can give us about the gospel. Art is a waiting game in most cases and requires a lot of patience and practice. It reminds me of Alma's plea that we experiment upon the scriptures (Alma 32:27), because to develop a style or technique you have to do a lot of experimenting and in most cases just exercise faith that it will turn out. But in the end--whether its a master piece or a failure-- you understand more, you've had fun, and you've grown. Its all worth it.
I pray you are all doing well, are safe and happy. This Sunday is Mother's Day. My love and gratitude goes out to every woman, mother, and wife that smiles at little children and touches hearts each day. Thank you. Thank you.
Happy Mother's Day!
Love, Lara
Bogalusa has several abandoned schools. It makes me sad to see the still swings and dark windows.
I used curlers in my hair and when I brushed it out that night I had lots of volume. I feel like the Mad Hatter when the Cheshire Cat stole his hat.
Sister Ray did my make-up and Sister Eyre did my hair. I chose my outfit.
Contemplating my brisket lunch, not as good as Dad's.
I find it funny when 2nd stories doors have no ways down. Fly!
I got to see a lot of families from my time in Petal, MS. Including the Ishee's!
Popits! Noisy buggers.
The movie theater has been closed for a long time...
The completed yarn ball.
Not what we expected to receive in the mail.
My ruined game of Solitaire.
Troubled young women + chocolate = A crazy night
Scrabble and chocolate.
When you play Scrabble in the South :)
Smile.














No comments:
Post a Comment