July 22, 2013
'Ollo! (A Lara Greeting)
Mom thanks for your last email, yes I cried imagining Grandma to be my angel watching over me, o look, there go the tears just typing it. I love to think that this work is not only being watched over by those on earth but by those yet to come and those who have past. It's a beautiful thought. Its possibly my favorite part about being a Latter-Day Saint, the knowledge of the Plan of Salvation. That life doesn't end at death, that we will see our families again, that our purpose is joy. (2 Nephi 2:25). I try to express this joy to those I teach, because it is what has helped me through the deaths in my past. We had a wonderful member of our ward die on Saturday and I cried, not because of his death, but because his wife never felt the same way about the gospel as her husband did and they were not able to be sealed together before he passed.
This week has been exciting, and the week to come is sure to be even more exciting. Interviews are this week, when the mission President comes to our zone and conducts interviews both as a companionship and individually with each missionary. Being so far from the mission home, I love any opportunity to be near President and Sister McDonough, that are such great people. In fact all the missionaries and mission leaders I've met are such wonderful people. Who knew God could call together such a vast number of amazing people in one place, with one purpose, and not have everyone go completely crazy!
Continuing "The 10 Happy Things of Today Book"...
Monday July 15, 2013
"Biked 3 miles" - We rode our bikes from our house, to the library to Family Dollar and back to our house. Oy! Not excited to do that again, too many hills.
"Check Elder Capron in chess!" - After dinner with the Hustons, President Huston wanted to play chess with everyone. I got really close to beating Elder Capron which surprised everyone until I made little mistake and lost. O well! I'm proud of myself.
"The 'Llamanities' are the black pieces in chess" and "King's in chess like baseball" and "I made Pres. Huston laugh. Success!" - Pres. Huston was a giant chess board and as I stared at the knights they looked more like llamas to me then horses and suddenly their game between the war of the Nephites (white) against the Llamanites (black). I also noticed that the crown on the King pieces had the shape of baseballs. I couldn't believe how I made Pres. Huston laugh at my quirky comments!
Tuesday, July 16, 2013
"30 minutes outside = 20 bug bites (including one on the ear)" - New record. Sad thing is I think most of them were jiggers, nasty things; the one on my ear was definitely mosquito.
Wednesday, July 17, 2013
"Dinner with the Loftins. Good people" - Due to tricky schedules, the Loftins took us out to dinner, they are amazing people and converts! I loved hearing their conversation story and the place they took us to had homemade banana pudding! I think banana pudding is my most favorite Southern food!
Thursday, July 18, 2013
"Rain!" and "Smoke on late night streets" - Love the rain. Seriously. And fog is not uncommon, through the rain as we drove home Thursday evening, it rose from the streets in white wisps that made for beautiful scenes as headlights lit it up.
"Surprised by the McCabes" - Due to our low miles, Sister McGrath and I parked at the entrance to the McCabe's (our dinner appointment) community, said a prayer, and walked to the less-active members we wanted to go visit. While we were praying Sister McCabe pulled up next to us and just grinned till I said amen. Haha!
Friday, July 19, 2013
"Handed out a Book of Mormon on my own" - We went to a baptism for our fellow missionaries in the Bossier ward because Sister McGrath and I had both befriended the man. Afterwards I was talking to his family from Monroe and they told me they were meeting with the missionaries but the elders hadn't had enough Book of Mormons on them last week to give each family member a copy, and before I knew it I had handed out one to that family member with no issue and shared 3 Nephi 11:11 with her, she was excited, told me thank you and walked away. What surprised me even more though was that the other missionaries had seen this and were surprised that I had done it so easily. Their praise helped me understand my ability to talk to people.
"Gene recognized "Shriek"" - While talking to Gene, a down-syndrome girl, after the baptism, she heard the elders playing something on the piano that she recognized, she paused me and said "Shriek!" then walked away. They were playing "Hallelujah" which is used in the first Shriek movie.
Sunday, July 21, 2013
"Richard got the Priesthood!" - Talking to after he said that he realized that the authority came all the way back to Jesus, "I just got the priesthood from Jesus!"
"Dinner offer from the Hustons" - President Huston called us yesterday afternoon, and invited us over for dinner and to practice a member lesson, then afterwards President Huston played his guitar and the woman sang, mostly Les Miserables songs that I couldn't really sing along to but was able to video (unfortunately this email system can't take videos that are so big so I couldn't share it with you right now). Then seeing my recognition at President Huston playing "Classical Gas" he showed me a guitarist that did a rendition of "Classical Gas", his last name was Emanuel. It was so cool.
Dad I was wondering if you remember where you bought you "Classical Gas" CD. I would love to share it with President Huston. Or could you burn me a copy of it?
Your missionary is doing well, still working through the schedules of being a missionary, but she is definitely making it. But keep those prayers coming, they are much appreciated!
Loving everyone so very much!
-Sister Lara Stewart
No comments:
Post a Comment