Well, Mom, I have bad news. Though all your letters begin "Is the sun shining today?" This week it mostly has not. I believe in the last 7 days, most of 5 of those has been wet and cloudy. Not that I'm complaining, I like being able to see during the day and I don't mind being a little wet. Today its been raining off and on, it makes me happy. Probably because we don't have to necessarily be out in it because its P-Day.
Even with the rain, its been a good week for the work. We tracted our full 7 hours required, and met some really nice people.
I have discovered that I love to teach. When we are sitting with someone and just talking about this and that, its fine but I don't feel accomplished. I have noticed though, the second I say a pray, open the scriptures, say a statement of truth and my testimony, that is when I feel the most at peace. When I feel I am where I am meant to be, doing what I have been called to do. It's not an easy feeling to describe, but its so wonderful, I would love for everyone to feel it. I started my mission not wanting people to ask questions and not wanting to ask them in return, now I plead for people to ask me a question. Peter admonishes us "be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you" (1 Peter 3:15). It's really strange, to say the least, that these feelings can come, but it's probably one of the many tender mercies from the Lord. I can understand why so many returned-missionaries want to be teachers now.
The Lord's hand has been in a lot of the work. For example on Friday, we stopped by an investigator who's son had just been diagnosed with cancer the last time we were over. That had been perfect timing for her, because she had been really down and as we talked we had been able to cheer her up. This time we again had "perfect timing" because she had just learned that the tests weren't done yet. Again we talked about what was going on in her life and the Lord's presence as she directs her family (her husband is away for work most of the year). We shared with her uplifting scriptures from Mosiah 4 and Moroni 7 and introduced her to mormonmessages.org (which redirects you to mormonchannel.org), specifically Elder Holland's story "Good Things to Come." She was really touched by the strength Elder Holland demonstrated and said she would save the site to look at again. I encourage everyone to go look for themselves, Mormon Messages are one of my favorite things to look at when we get on the computer, because they are simple and short messages--it feels--from God.
Another awesome thing that happened was that we were finally able to meet with our neighbor Heather and her family. We had taught them one time, before the holidays, but then all the activities and illness set in and we were deterred from our meetings. Finally while walking home for lunch Friday morning, we saw Heather outside and stopped to see how she was. To our surprise, she invited us over to teach again that night. Strangely it was difficult to find things to do till 7pm that night, all our plans kept falling through, but we were so happy to be able to meet with Heather again, we didn't mind too much and found ways to fill our time so that the work was progressing. Then in the lesson, it was so good to share scripture and testimony and, again, answer questions. Heather's husband had a lot of tough ones, most of which I hadn't much considered myself, but between the 3 of us were able to give him a sense of what God's will was. Unfortunately we didn't set up a return appointment but I'm not sure they would keep it. Still we drive past their home everyday. We'll keep an eye out for another opportunity.
I feel this is when to insert an emoticon :)
Sunday was awesome this week. Sister Baker spoke and talked on receiving promptings from the Spirit, she did a really good job. Elder Bytheway, our new elder, also spoke but he was a little less coordinated, still he had a few good points that I hope the branch was listening to. Most of the branch was gone or sick, it was a little scary seeing how many empty chairs there were. The elders taught Sunday School, the lesson was "The Organization of the Priesthood." It was a lot of information, especially for one of our member's non-member boyfriend. I was able to learn something, however, I could have done without the headache afterwards. Our afternoon was spent running around in the country. We visited with an inactive member who has a lot of challenges facing her family but stays stronger than any thing you could imagine. We read 2 Nephi 31 with her and she was excited to read it with her non-member husband. She has 3 children and I just adore them; if we could just stay there all day, I don't think I would mind at all. Then we went to one of members who live out in the country and as we sat down to share a scripture we asked who everyone's favorite person in the Book of Mormon was. Their youngest son answered "I don't like anyone in the Book of Mormon, I like Jesus." That made us all smile, but he didn't seem too convinced when we told him that Jesus is in the Book of Mormon, too. Haha, he'll learn soon enough.
I'm still cooking, and I still don't understand why I never cooked growing up. I love it. After an intense conversation with some investigators Tuesday night, including the writing down of a few recipes, I made corn fritters Thursday (I had to buy cornmeal on Wednesday or I would have made them then). Pretty much they were a fried cornbread pancake, really good and super filling. And on Sunday I made Cowboy Beans and Cornbread again. Dad, I'm not sure I made the beans exactly how you told me. Eventually I determined that it was more like a chilli then anything else, which made me glad I had decided on cornbread. Only problem, when I observed my cornbread when the timer went off I thought it was done so I dumped it out of the loaf pan and it broke open, completely NOT done. I had to throw it all back in the pan and cooked it another 10 minutes and then it was cooked through. Luckily my companions didn't care how it looked because it tasted delicious. I think my problem was that I had put extra moisture in with half a can of kernel corn. So yummy!
Loving my companions! I've come to the realization that trios are good when there is a balance in personalities and a common drive to work. Sister Tebbs is more obedience driven but has silly moments you just don't expect half the time. Sister Baker--similar to Sister Totterer--is generally silly but knows when its time to get serious. As for myself I try to find a balance between the two and just show respect. I probably would not have been friends with any of the 9 companions I've had so far if it wasn't for that common drive, however. And that is one of the blessings God gives us. That friendships are always made when the Lord is involved. So in conclusion, my companions rock!
I should hope that this letter has been so filled with the gospel and the spirit that it suffices for its own spiritual thought. Still, I would encourage everyone to read President Ezra Taft Benson's "The Book of Mormon--Keystone of Our Religion." http://www.lds.org/ ensign/1986/11/the-book-of- mormon-keystone-of-our- religion It is a good article to understand the importance and significance of the Book of Mormon in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
Also, I made an accomplishment and finally completed my Mormon.org Profile. Check me out: http://mormon.org/me/ CZFK/LaraStewart
Love y'all, the South is alive! Go Saints!
People put messages on the stop signs, our favorite has been "Stop Hammer Time".
Tracting the country again. It was cold.
When we tried to park on the side of the road, it was deceivingly muddy. Sister Baker and I had to push the car out :)
Corn Fritters!
More country tracting, a beautiful day, I was in 3/4 sleeves!
I made Cowboy Beans (chili) and cornbread for dinner. Ignore the strange loaf shape, it wasn't finished the first time I tried to slice it. Ha!
No comments:
Post a Comment