Merry Christmas!
I've seen miracles this week, for one, I'm still alive. I've had some trouble with my bike... the brakes don't work, but the elders told me they could fix them so no worries. I just ride past where we have to stop then turn around. It was scary last Thursday though because we had gotten out of an appointment late and were riding in the dark (about 5:45pm or so) and realized after I began speeding up that I was on a downward slope. I maneuver to the grass on the roadside so slow me and down eventually just jumped off and ran holding onto my bike till I could stop. It was a neat experience and one I won't be experiencing again any time soon. I walk my bike up and down hills as often as I can. Don't fret, Mom, I wear my helmet.
More bike stories: Sister Totterer had her bike stolen on Thursday. We parked on the corner of 7th St and East Railroad, and Sister Tebbs and I locked our bikes to a stop sign post and Sister Totterer leaned hers with it (her lock didn't fit). We thought nothing of it because we have never had any theft problems in Wesson, though we do lock up if we'll be tracting for a long while. We were gone for 2 hours and as we were walking back from the next road, we saw a group of boys near our bikes, and as we approached closer they ran away. Sister Totterer muttered something under breath and when I asked what was up she said, "They stole my bike." Indeed as we came nearer we saw that Sister Totterer's bike was MIA, Sister Tebbs bike was leaning against the sign but the lock wasn't around the post, and my lock was still on but my bike was on the ground away from the post. Confused and angry, Sister Totterer ran after the boys with Sister Tebbs and I close behind. We tracked down the boys with no sign of Sister Totterer's bike and asked if they had seen it. They said no and had to explain that we were going to have to call the police. We gave them a card with our phone number on it and asked them to give us a call if they saw the bike. They said they would look and called us a few minutes later. We waited at a nearby apartment complex and up came one of the boys on Sister Totterer's bike, the front brake broken and her helmet gone. We were glad that we didn't have to call the cops, but sad that that had to happen. We walked everywhere after that. We didn't trust losing our bikes again.
And then yesterday we tracted the country. Four miles, 3 hours, talked to 11 people, no lessons, no Book of Mormons. Yes, we are geniuses. In other news I have learned that I can keep going when my feet and back are killing me, Sister Totterer has good balance, and I can wait 4 hours to use the restroom (we were out with a member for an hour before). Best part: we accomplished our goal of 7 hours of tracting for the week--we just wish the street had had more houses on it.
In other exciting news, we have a couple new investigators! Funny part, they are both named Crystal. The first Crystal we have met with twice and is really soaking up our message. Unfortunately she didn't come to church yesterday but she realizes that how she lives her life isn't in coherence with the teachings of Christ. Hopefully we can help her move forward and feel the spirit and change her life for the better. The other Crystal is a neighbor of the McLemore's, whom we eat dinner with every Sunday. Her mother-in-law that she lives with was a referral from another member. We went to see her, and spent some time talking to her and her husband, but Crystal and her husband were out. They arrived home right after we left and walked to the McLemore's. We had only been at the McLemore's for 30 minutes when their home phone rang and WE had a phone call. Crystal wanted to meet with us! She came over with one of her children and we taught a short lesson on the Restoration. It was a little awkward because we hadn't prepared, but when the spirit is there the information doesn't matter as much. And the spirit was there. We have an appointment to see her in-law's next week and she said she would be there, wish us luck!
We spent last Tuesday in Clinton at T-point (Transfer-point) saying goodbye and hi to new and old friends. We're lucky enough to be close enough to do this. It was so exciting to see everyone! So many people were my comrades in Shreveport--A Shreveport reunion! I was jumping all over the place as I hugged, hand-shaked, and took pictures with everyone. The best part was seeing Sister McGrath. I was going nuts seeing her again, because it had been 3 months. I had the chance to go out with her and several other old friends to lunch and she told me some details about my first area, Brownlee. It sounds like quite a few of my old less-actives and investigators have fallen back but others have stepped forward to take their place. One man named Bill, Sister McGrath and I tracted into before I left. Well, the next week he ran into the elders at Target and the elders told Sister McGrath and her companion to go back and see him again, they did and he wasn't interested. But then they began seeing him everywhere! Eventually he said they could come over and share their message and with the help of the ward members, Bill was baptized 2 Saturdays ago! And my recent convert, Richard, is doing great. He apparently played the role of the Shepard in the Ward Christmas Nativity scene and he told Sister McGrath that he felt privileged to do that! OH, I love and miss Brownlee Ward so much, I really hope I'll be able to go back there soon.
Our Branch had a last minute Christmas Party on Friday. We got a ride to it with a member and had a really good time. Most of the Branch was there and they had brought lots of good food. Bad part was that they let us take some of that good food home. Uh, bad for the waist line. Elder Hartwig and Elder Anderson were called on to play Santa and his elf, but the suit that the ward rented was too small for Hartwig (he's a really big guy) but Elder Anderson was still able to play the elf with our Branch President Miller playing Santa. It was so funny seeing how many kids were afraid of him, even some of the bigger kids didn't want to sit on his lap, even knowing that candy was involved. Eventually the temptations of chocolate had all of the kids coming up though and even Sister Miller gave Santa a kiss! Its so much fun to see a great group of people getting together and celebrating the holidays.
This week has been one of package receiving. Thank you so much to all those who spent time, money, and energy on me this Christmas, I pray blessings will reciprocate. I've saved nearly all my packages for Christmas and am excited to spend time opening them up. Our Christmas plans are to eat crepes for breakfast, Skype at the McLemore's, and have dinner at the Diamonds. What else will happen beyond that has yet to be determined.
Have a very Merry Christmas! Check out mormonchannel.org under Collections for some Holiday Media. My favorite video is "O Come, Emanuel - Christmas Version," a music video by the Piano Guys (one of my favorite music groups). All of the videos are splendid though, so if you have a moment watch a few. Have a Merry Christmas.
On Thursday I plan to sing a very special song all day. You know it: "I'll be home for Christmas, you can count on me."
I love y'all!!!
Branch Christmas party. All the missionaries with Santa (Branch President Miller). Yes, Elder Anderson is the elf.
Caught a lizard in the Hazlehurst Library bathroom and set it free outside. Freaked out Sister Totterer because she had used the bathroom in there just before me.
Teasing a member. He had to go hand out all these pass-along cards.
Waiting on my bike for the train.
Sister Tebbs 6 month mark, tradition states she burn a shirt.
Went to a Mexican Restaurant with an investigator for lunch, pet a horse.
Tracting the country.
Still Tracting: 11 houses, 3 hours, 4 miles.
Caught a lizard in the Hazlehurst Library bathroom and set it free outside. Freaked out Sister Totterer because she had used the bathroom in there just before me.
Teasing a member. He had to go hand out all these pass-along cards.
Waiting on my bike for the train.
Sister Tebbs 6 month mark, tradition states she burn a shirt.
Went to a Mexican Restaurant with an investigator for lunch, pet a horse.
Tracting the country.
Still Tracting: 11 houses, 3 hours, 4 miles.
No comments:
Post a Comment